Project Understanding has a number of programs designed to help people get back on their feet, providing a place to live and become self reliant.
SHORE at the WAV
Supportive Housing Opportunities in a Residential Environment
The goal of this program is to assist those who desire to end their homelessness. SHORE at the WAV is Case Management of previously homeless families and individuals in permanent, supportive housing apartments subsidized by Section 8 funds.
Open: By Appointment
Phone: (805) 628-3332
Homeless to Home (H2H)
If you are homeless and are looking for help to find housing, please call H2H between 9:00 am and 4:00pm, Monday-Friday at (805) 231-2299. Program requirements for the intake portion are:
- Proof of Income - last 2 check stubs, SSI/SSA/Disability award letter or bank statement if direct deposit, food stamps, and/or unemployment stubs
- Proof of Address - rental agreement; if renting a room, letter from landlord
- Proof of Dependents/Custody - rental agreement (if listed on it), legal paperwork and awarding custody
- If homeless, ID and mailing address
Open: Monday-Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Phone: (805) 652-1326, ext 401
Tender Life Maternity Home
Where Courage Meets Compassion
to Build New Lives
This program provides homeless pregnant woment with safe housing and support services that promote self-sufficiency. Program requirements include:
- Phone interview
- In person interview
- Homeless and pregnant
- Pregnant only, no other children
- At least 30 days of sobriety, proof if available
- Present proof of income, or Cal Works
- No felonies preferred; staff will decide on case by case basis
- Cannot house severe mental health clients
- Domestic violence: you must have completed a 30 day Domestic violence shelter before you will be considered for the maternity home.
- Proof of legal status
The Tender Life Program is currently undergoing evaluation and has been temporarily suspended. Please contact us if you have questions about this program or are a pregnant woman in need of services.
Tender Life Maternity Home:
871 E. Thompson Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001
Get started by filling out this form. A representative will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
Donate to Project Understanding Housing Programs
Project Understanding relies on volunteers and charitable donations to serve people in need in Ventura County.